I did it. I finally caved to peer (& sister) pressure. I got SCUBA certified.
Here I am in my gear, preparing for the class portion of certification.
I think the title of the textbook was "101 Ways to DIE Under the Sea"
I did two nights of classes, one FULL day at a pool, then two mornings at the very cold and mucky Lake Pleasant (talk about a misnomer). The second day of dives at the lake, my blogging side got the best of me and I worked up the nerve to ask somebody to take a picture of me with all my gear on.
It's just too bad it's not a side view... you can't see the heavy 40lb air tank on my back.
Good thing this isn't an equipment heavy sport... ;)
Good thing this isn't an equipment heavy sport... ;)
I did ok... I made it through and certified. It's been a roller coaster of a month for me and it took all my courage to not freak out and break down and cry during my last day of dives. The scariest part was having to completely remove my mask, replace it and clear whilst under 6-8 feet of water. The first time, I failed, freaked, hyperventilated and bolted to the surface... all of which are no-no's in the sport of diving. But I made it second time around and I certified!
And I'm forever grateful to this man:
Gary Gilb, my instructor, my SCUBA hero.
There's tears in my eyes for this picture.
Seriously, the man was my strength.
There's tears in my eyes for this picture.
Seriously, the man was my strength.
And this is random, but on the way home from the lake, my car hit 88,888 miles. I'm a weirdo for numbers and like to take pictures of car mileage marks. I know. It's silly.
So anyway, it's done! And where will I initiate my certification?
COSTA RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRICA!!
5 days and counting...
COSTA RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRICA!!
5 days and counting...
10 comments:
Ooh, Costa Rica! Darin and I are thinking of going there next year. You will have to let me know how it is!
I laugh every time I look at the top picture. Congrats Spendy for getting certified! I'm proud of you!
You are amazing BeRecca, in many more ways than one. LOVE YA!!!
Congrats on the vacay and the certification. And I hope these next 30 days are much smoother than your last. Love ya.
what!!!? i am so jealous, as would be Lorne, that's where he wants to go- only for surfing not scuba... someday we'll get there... someday. have fun! -keely
You are seriously so awesome- I would have been out the door as soon as I saw the title of that textbook. I have an incredibly irrational fear of being eaten by a shark or a giant squid...
I might have to vote for the pic of you in full scuba gear as my favorite EVER! Have a blast in Costa Rica!
BTW we just booked a trip to Vegas for our 5th anniversary in July and I need some tips on best stuff to see and eat...
Cool scuba fins sis. I am so excited to have a fellow diver in the family now. Maybe our next girls trip will be somewhere warm and tropical again and we can go diving together. I hope you are having fun in Costa Rica and get to see a ginormous Manta ray. Can't wait to hear about your trip! Oh and ps I like the note near your car odometer; good reminder.
Glad you finally posted your awesome photos! You're so rad!
Rebecca.... Rebecca Spendlove... is that you?? I've wondered how you were and when I saw that you follow Meghann's blog, I thought, "No way!" It's Stacey Christensen (Baker now), Meghann's old roommate! It's so good to see your face again!! I'll have to blog surf for a while and read up on your life. You can catch me at my blog, and do it quick, I'm making mine private soon and I'd love to add you to the list. Just leave your email in a comment (I have comment moderation on, so it won't be posted for everyone to see). Oh and you'll never guess... I'm sure you remember Peter from Freshman year, well a girl in my ward here is his sister in law (he married her sister). Small world, huh? He is in the military, living in Germany, with his second kid on the way. I believe he is a lawyer. Anyways, this is getting long, I just had to say hello! Keep in touch!
Wow wow wow!!! I'm impressed! That's exciting. GOOD FOR YOU!!!
-Susanna
P.S. Sorry about the overuse of exclamation points. But how else do you show enthusiasm in writing?
Post a Comment