It was fun as a kid to get all dressed up and go trick-or-treating. I'm sure it'll be fun again when I have my own kids to get dressed up and take trick-or-treating and can live the magic again through them. (But based on some of your "my kids are on a sugar high and it's driving me crazy" posts, I'm probably sorely mistaken!)
But ever since some magical teen age (I can't even remember how old I was when I stopped trick-or-treating) I've been stuck in a Halloween rut. Year after year, I just get dressed up and go to some (usually lame) church-sponsored activity. I remember once at BYU going to the foulest party I've ever been to and realizing for the first time how many "members of the church" use Halloween as an excuse to play out their freaksih fantasies and throw all their morals out the window for the evening. Every year, I witness at least a few more people like that and it just disappoints me and makes me dread Halloween even more.
This year, I was looking forward to just handing out candy in my new neighborhood, maybe watching a flick and then going to bed early (my usual Friday night, minus the trick-or-treaters...). But, I happen to have a good friend like Becca Wilson who won't let me stay inside one of the few weekends that there's actually something to do. She called up with a costume idea (another reason I had no desire to go out... I had nothing to wear!) and a couple of hours later, I was out playing instead of in bed sleeping.
Here we are...
Rebecca the Angel and Rebecca the Devil.
I love Becca's psycho eyes.
She was trying to go for an angelic look and totally missed it!
Rebecca the Angel and Rebecca the Devil.
She was trying to go for an angelic look and totally missed it!
It was actually a really fun and easy costume, especially if people caught they play on us both being name Rebecca. (I'm sure a lot costmue, especially if people caught they play on us both being named Rebecca. (I'm sure a lot of people were like "Hey, there's Becca and Spendy dressed up like an angel and a devil" and totally missed the point. Whatever.) We ran into our old Bishop, Scott Kimball, who took a look at us and said "Yeah, you've even got it right!" meaning I am the more devilish of the two of us... or she's the more angelic of the two of us. Depends how you look at it. But he was right!
The best part of our costume was being able to play the role. We went up to some friends and would get on either side of them and whisper respective evil temptaions or angelic counsel into their ears. We ran into Greg and, like a good sport, he let us recreate the "angel-and-devil-on-the-shoulders-of-a-confused-soul"scenario through photographs. I love the confused look on his face. It's perfect!
The best part of our costume was being able to play the role. We went up to some friends and would get on either side of them and whisper respective evil temptaions or angelic counsel into their ears. We ran into Greg and, like a good sport, he let us recreate the "angel-and-devil-on-the-shoulders-of-a-confused-soul"scenario through photographs. I love the confused look on his face. It's perfect!
I played around with this picture on www.picnik.com What do you think?
In case you forgot what the "angel-and-devil-on-the-shoulders-of-a-confused-soul"scenario looks like, here's my good friend and RS President Mindi Peterson in her costume.
Ok, so maybe the angel and devil on Greg's shoulders aren't exactly to scale... but I still think its funny!
So, it was a relatively good Halloween. But I'm really not sure how much longer I'll last celebrating the holiday with my own costume. I think 28 years is plenty! PS This one's for my mom... My past student Amber needed help with a costume idea. All she knew was that she wanted to wear a 70's afro wig. So, I let her borrow one of the classic Spendlove costumes. She dropped by my house before going out for the evening to show off her threads.

So, it was a relatively good Halloween. But I'm really not sure how much longer I'll last celebrating the holiday with my own costume. I think 28 years is plenty! PS This one's for my mom... My past student Amber needed help with a costume idea. All she knew was that she wanted to wear a 70's afro wig. So, I let her borrow one of the classic Spendlove costumes. She dropped by my house before going out for the evening to show off her threads.

I also messed with this photo on picnik. I'm kinda diggin' the retro developed photo style.
Doesn't she look awsome?! I can't even tell you how many time I've worn that outfit. And the tradition lives on! Thank heavenes for boxes of old, authentic clothes in the basement!

3 comments:
Love the Halloween costume theme. And that picture with Greg is classic. Did I mention you look super hot as a devil? Well you do.
hey! I didn't notice before but how appropriate is it that Greg's tattooed arm is on your side??? That was a fun day! :)
Nice costume RJ. Red is a great color on you and yes, you look pretty hot as the devilish influence. Did the other Rebecca get the angel look down?
Post a Comment