Sunday, October 26, 2008

Homecoming Week


I always loved Homecoming Week in Santa Paula. Dress up days, lunch rallies, class competitions, float building (
I had my first kiss as a Sophomore right before a float building activity), the homecoming parade, the high energy game with the royalty half-time show and the homecoming dance. To be honest, now that I've experienced first hand a couple of homecoming weeks at a BIG school (Mesa High enrollment is a little over 3,000 students) I must say that smaller towns do it better! Anyway, I happen to be one of the few teachers who really supports homecoming week and the dress up days. I'm not sure how much longer I'll last... I feel sillier and sillier with each passing year getting all dressed up. But the kids love it and I'll probably keep doing it until I fall under the "old fuddy duddy teacher" umbrella.

Anyway, I documented my week of dress up days to share with my blog readers. Mesa High School's Homecoming 2008 theme was "Lights, Camera, Action!" and the dress up days got progressively further away from that theme. But, whatever. On to my costumes:

Movie Star Monday

Do you know who I am? I thought for sure I'd have to explain my character to my students. But, no. It was the ADULTS who needed. June Cleaver? Mary Tyler Moore? Carol Burnett? Dorothy? (This was my personal favorite... this man kept telling me I needed a little dog on a leash so people would catch on to who I was. Ok, A) I'm not Dorothy and B) Dorothy never had Toto on a leash. That man is crazy anyway.) I even changed my outfit to a half apron to see if that helped the cause at all.

It didn't. I was tired of explaining my self (or should I say "splainin" myself, hint, hint) so I went home and changed at lunch. Sorry, random side note. Anyway, no, I wasn't any of the aformentioned characters. I was Lucille Ball from "I love Lucy". The kids, who were born in 1991 for crying out loud, knew that. Alright, next...

Tropical Tuesday

Where is my picture, you might ask? I had a training meeting at the district offices that day, so I wasn't even at school to join in the dress up day. Too bad... it's one of my personal favorites.

80's Workout Wednesday

Do you love the belt?

Man, the 80's are BACK with these kids, but they love just the sweatbands and cut up sweatshirts styles of the 80's. You probably can't see it, but my shirt says "Girls just wanna have fun". You gotta love Cindy Lauper.

Army Thursday


I didn't get a chance to take a picture of me in the outfit before I got out of it and into my bed. Thursday was the first really bad day of a headache that I've had for a couple of days now. Generally, I'm feeling better, but still not 100%. Anyway, I barely made it through the day and rushed home as soon as I could to lie my head down

Purple & Gold Friday

Yes, I wore gold shorts and purple knee socks. I know, I look ridiculous. But, remember, the kids love it (even if they aren't generous in admitting it).

So, I'm also the Spirit Club adviser and I committed myself to a very busy day of spirit item sales at the lunch time rally, after school carnival AND the football game. Considering I couldn't stand up for long with out feeling sick from my headache, I wasn't sure I was going to make it through this busy day. But, by some miracle (a cat nap at work, drugs and divine intervention) I was feeling well enough to fulfill all my commitments. But believe you me, my body let go the minute I got home after the football game.

Here's the table that I spent my life at that day.
And that's my cute Jetta in the background with the SPENDY license plate. Love it.

And my good friend Becca Wilson was a sweetheart and came to the football game to sit with me at the table so I wouldn't have to be lonely. Here's an awkward picture of her... don't worry, that's just the way she likes it! :)

I made it. I'm glad it's over. But you have to admit that Homecoming Week is a fun time for everyone. It has this magic and nostalgia attached to it that just brings out the pink tu-tu in all of us. Um, random comment, I know, but so was this picture:

This girl was just so proud of her outfit and wasn't afraid to show her Mesa High pride. And that is what Homecoming is all about. So, good for her.

8 comments:

Vickie said...

How could they not tell you were Lucy?? That was a great costume! You're a good teacher to get in the spirit of it all. How fun.

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Oh, SPHS Homecoming Week...good times. After graduating, I was surprised to find out that most HSs don't have a parade and floats. How boring!
So, I immediately knew you were Lucy! But then I read on. Now I'm freaked out because I am going to be Lucy for Halloween. I hope people know who I am!!!
-Susanna
P.S. Mary Tyler Moore had brown hair! What is wrong with people?

Kathy said...

I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. I hope you are feeling better. Way to participate in Homecoming.

Becca said...

ummmm.....AWKWARD!!!

Sarah said...

I knew you were Lucy! Red hair, dress, pearls, apron. Plus I know you.
I agree that little SPHS rocked homecoming. Float building, parades, dressing up, pep rallies. Yep, there are benefits to small towns and schools

Lisa said...

I think that is awesome that you dress up. I don't think I could ever do it! I really think you should wear that outfit to our next kickbox class :)

Louise said...

I knew you were Lucy even before I saw your picture then I knew for sure you were Lucy. You looked adorable. I'm glad you made it through homecoming. I hope you are feeling much better too. Mom

San Diego Spendloves said...

Loved the Lucy costume and 80s workout pose. Very funny post.