At the beginning of Mesa High's 2009 Football season,
the players donned shirts that said
"EXIT 7"
on the back.
"EXIT 7"
on the back.
Exit 7? What's that?
That's the exit you take to get to the Cardinal Stadium (technically "University of Phoenix Stadium" but that's a dumb name and nobody really calls it that...) where the state championship game is played. Today, our football team (with an entire community in tow) took Exit 7.
This past week, leading up to the big game, Mesa High has been a different place. Mesa High is known for being a school with deep traditions. In my opinion, those traditions sometimes get lost with the changing demographics. But not this week. The tradition and the pride was restored with Mesa's "We Believe" campaign. Students, teachers, clubs, and administrators plastered the campus with "_________ Believes" posters, showing support of our underdog chances at the state title. Here's my nerdy poster:
Alright, back to today... Sarah Neerings and I headed out to the west valley for the big game. And at the Cardinals Stadium! How cool is that?
Notable, without a doubt.
especially once you see this:
So, instead of talking about the game itself, let's highlight Mesa's champion moments at state.
1. Mesa played as a TEAM and not as individual players.
Our boys chose to walk out as a team,
rather than be announced and enter individually like the Hamilton players.
rather than be announced and enter individually like the Hamilton players.
2. Mesa High is backed by it's community.
There were SOOO many alumni at the game,
including famous ones like Deuce Lutui who plays for the Cardinals
and chose to wear his Mesa High Football shirt. I love it.
Here's Duece leading the boys in the Haka last year.
(The poofy haired Tongan in the front is one of my baby 7th graders, Pasiaka, who graduated last year. Have I really been around that long?? Yep. Seven years...)
They do it before every game to pump themselves (and the crowd up).
State was no exception to that rule:
4. The singing of "Carry On!"
Alright, so I personally think this alma mater is rather archaic and a little awkward (sorry you Mesa High alumn. Just remember... this isn't really my high school. I just work there). But really, what alma mater isn't archaic?
BUT, the kids love it and they all gather with arms around each other and sway back and forth as they sing it after EVERY game. No joke.
5. Mesa High Prays... even the non-Mormons!
I'm not sure how they get away with it in a public school, but I guess the team that prays together stays together. Here's a shot of Head Coach Kelley Moore praying with the boys after the game, while Hamilton is being presented their trophy in the background.
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...
It was a fun night, Mesa.
Miss Spendlove still believes in all the goodness you revived in the student body.
3 comments:
What a great post- I'm totally tearing up! This needs to be made into a movie- or at least an after school special ;) It's so nice to be reminded of how much goodness and character is still left in the world. Thank you for sharing!
adorable.
Mesa is so lucky to have teachers like YOU. Staff like YOU...
and students like ME :)
Carry On Mesa High...
(PS I love #9) :)
How funny! I love Jadrian, too! She's in my ward and in Young Women's where I am the second counselor these days. Gotta love Jade!
Post a Comment