So who do you call when you don't have a man around your house to call? You call a married friend's man around her house... I called Karen's husband, Matt Kempton. He was over in a flash and spent the next 3 hours at my house digging up my front yard, diagnosing the problem (a crack in the water main), and fixing it (don't ask me how... it's all Greek to me).
1. Matt and Karen Kempton
I've known both of them (pre-marriage) pretty much the whole time I've been here. Matt was my realtor and they live right around the corner which makes Matt the prime candidate to call for help. And he's ALWAYS willing. He has a young family and is in the Bishopric and still, he always responds to my cries for help. And of course behind every good man is an even better woman. Karen not only shared her husband with me for 3 hours on a Saturday morning (I'm sure she had a "honey-do" list of her own...) but she also sent over a plate of breakfast for me with him. The Kemptons are great friends and neighbors and I am so blessed to know them.2. Old Friends
Ok, Matt & Karen count as old friends... but another one happened to drop by. When I first moved here, I lived across the street from Matt and his roommate Shane Warren. Shane got married a little over a year ago and I haven't seen him in probably longer than that. As Matt way surveying the damage, a car coming down the street suddenly pulled over, rolled down the window and there was none other than Shane Warren! Not knowing this was my street, he had accidently taken a wrong turn and ended up seeing Matt & me! Shane got out of the car, helped Matt survey the damage and even went to Home Depot with us to help pick out supplies. Shane has always been willing to help and even the separator of time hasn't changed that about him.
3. New Friends
I have the best neighbors, Lindsey & Jake Garrison. Heavenly Father led me to buy this house for more reasons than one. Having the Garrisons right across the street is among the top of those reasons. Lindsey came over and kept my mind occupied (after having a really emotional night before) while Jake lent Matt a hand with the digging. Lindsey was by my side a few days later when it was time to cover up the hole (Jake would have done it for me, but I beat him to it...). She leveled while I shoveled. And their sweet kids are always there to keep me company. (Those cuties are going to get their own post soon....)Perhaps life hasn't gone the way I planned... scratch that. Life hasn't gone the way I planned. But I'm lucky to have the life I have, ideal or not. And without a doubt, it wouldn't be a good life without good people surrounding me.
4 comments:
Hey Sis. Glad you have good friends around you to help you. What happened the night before?
What a great post. Sorry to hear about your home ownership perk. But glad to know you have such good friends who take care of you. Wish we lived closer to help out in more ways than one. Hope all is well.
Bummer about the water problem but it's awesome that you have such great friends that are willing to help you out. What a great post to say, "Thanks!"
-Susanna
What a mess!! Thank goodness for
good friends. I think Shane was in your Christmas Mariah Carey video, wasn't he. Mom
Post a Comment